Sunday, October 7, 2007

Shufflin' off to Buffalo.

Yesterday was our girl's junking trip. Every year we get together and do a day or weekend get-away, (no boys allowed) and head to a fun little town to go antiquing and nosing around in the junk shops! This year we headed to Buffalo, MN and met my Mom's cousin Pauline, who lives in that area. Buffalo is an antiquers holy grail...they have rows and rows of cute little junk shops, each with their own eclectic personality. Click HERE to see the stores in town. Right to left are my sister Gina, Grammie (she's 88!) my Mom, cousin Pauline and Auntie Jan. Check out the cool wrap-around glasses my Grammie is sporting. She has macular degeneration, and as she explains it, she can't see "FOR SHIT". Can I say shit on my blog? I guess I just did. Anyway, we hopped in my Dad's van Saturday morning and headed over to Buffalo. The first store we hit was MY FAVORITE! "This and That, Now & Then". They had some of the cutest displays and ideas for repurposing junk! Check out the cute beaded fringe hanging from this table, and the shabby fabric tied to the cute little desk chair! My creativity was jump started again yesterday, and all I want to do today is sit and create. I'm banning myself from making cards because I'm leaving on vacation on Wednesday and have too much to do. If I could, I would sit and create all day long. Someday, when I'm retired and can do nothing but go junking and make cards, I will be one happy chick. Until then, I will work. This display with the feathery witches hat was my favorite. The backdrop is 3 doors hinged together and then covered in black striped fabric. We headed next door to Second Hand rose, which was just as cute! This chalkboard poetry was exactly what I needed yesterday. I have to tell you that on Friday I was ready to dump my blog, sell my stamps and walk away from everything. I go through this a few times a year, usually when I'm overwhelmed , sick or haven't taken a break for while. Today I am still blogging. We will see what tomorrow brings. My sister noticed this cute "CHEAP STUFF" sign...you had to follow the yellow brick road down the steps and out to the back for the clearance area. While the clearance wasn't really anything we needed, we did see this cute door...my Aunt Jan is Vanna-ing it for you guys. Usually it's open and you can head down into the clearance basement. Look how tiny that door is!

I stopped taking photos after the first 2 stores...there was just too much cute stuff to take in! We will go back to Buffalo again, this I will guarantee. It may be sooner rather than later, as I found a cupboard that I'm still kicking myself for not buying. I'm like AH'NOLD...I"LL BE BACK. On the way back home we stopped outside of Rockford MN at an orchard to buy apples and check out the pumpkins. My friends, it does not get any better than this, standing in a wet muddy farm field on a beautiful day, pawing the bright orange pumpkins. This farm had SO many fun varieties, grey ones, white ones, flat cinderella-coach orange ones, warty ones, whatever type of pumpkin your heart desires! My heart desires one that the squirrels won't destroy in 2.9 seconds. Honeycrisp apples were the big purchase here. So that's what I know. Today I'm off to go tanning, give myself a pedicure, wash & pack my summer clothing and try to shovel my house out a little. To quote a magnet we saw this weekend, "My idea of cleaning is to sweep the room with my eyes and call it a day."




Happy Sunday everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had those moments, too! I'm glad you got a chance to get away and have some fun. Thanks for sharing all the pix, those shops are so adorable. I've never seen anything like them around here in western NY state.

Charmingdesigns said...

Im still laughing about how your grammie put things into perspective!! You go give yourself a break and then come back and knock our sox off with your cards!! Thanks for emailing me!! Laurie

Anonymous said...

Junker's Heaven!! You've been to junker's heaven, Zapster!! Oh my gosh!! I was stuck here in Texas!! Comment on each & every delight? Do you have a couple of pages for me?? Acccck!!! You always find the absolute coooooolest schtuff, Zappy!!! You are my junker's idol!!

~Tex

Michele Kovack said...

Your Gram is 88 and still going with you guys? She is awesome! How lucky you are to have her! Awesome stuff....looks like you gals had a great time! And much needed time away!

Bevie Pearl said...

OMG golly goodness.....I want to go on a junkin girls only trip with you!! You have the cutest family!! I can just imagine all the fun you had!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks so much for sharing this with us! I wish I could be a part of your family - my kind of JOY!!! Your eye (excuse me, grammie) for the things I love seeing you do must be inherited - dont'cha think? What a wonderful, wonderful way to spend time with family.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

If you don’t mind my asking, do you make good money from this blog?


kupit' sialis soft